Here's an opportunity to help draft legislation that will improve concussion safety in Ontario. Time is short -- act now if you want to be heard!
On December 14, 2017 the government introduced Bill 193, Rowan's Law (Concussion Safety), 2017, that would, if passed, provide the framework to govern concussion prevention, detection, management and awareness in amateur competitive sport and schools.
If passed, this new legislation, would require "sport organizations", which may include post-secondary institutions (subject to the specifics outlined in regulations), to implement the following:
• Annual review of concussion awareness resources by athletes, parents/guardians of athletes under 18 years of age, coaches, and any other positions, such as officials, as prescribed by regulation;
• Establish a removal-from-sport protocol for athletes suspected of having sustained a concussion;
• Establish a return-to-sport protocol for athletes who have sustained a concussion, or who are suspected of having sustained a concussion; and
• Establish a concussion code of conduct.
Click here for more details about giving input for Rowan's Law.
Legislators are interested in responses to the following questions:
1. There is a significant body of research confirming the harmful long-term effects of undetected concussions, as well as those that are not managed properly. If passed, Bill 193 is intended to increase concussion safety of athletes, including students, in amateur competitive sport and in schools. Do you have any comments about potential impacts of the draft framework legislation on concussion safety for athletes in sport and schools?
2. Should the proposed legislation pass in the Legislature, how would you ensure that all implicated individuals in your organization meet the mandatory elements of the Bill?
3. What types of government tools/supports would be most helpful for organizations, to ensure compliance with the legislative framework?
Proposal Number: 17-MTCS001
Posting Date: December 15, 2017
Comments Due Date: January 29, 2018
Proposed Rowan's Law
c/o Sport, Recreation & Community Programs Division
Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport
777 Bay Street, 18th Floor,
Toronto Ontario, M7A 1S5